[OM] 5 Years with olympus

Subject: [OM] 5 Years with olympus
From: "norman dudman" <nor_45@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 03:01:48 PDT

I teach photography to GNVQ art students at a 6thForm College in the UK.
We use 10 second hand Olympus OM10 cameras fitted with the standard 50mm 1.8 lens. In the last 5 years of use we have only had 2 of the cameras breakdown, these were serviced for the sticky magnet problem. Any batteries that are available are used including the LR44 type with no problem, although I think the best battery has been the lithium CR 1/3 N. The on/off switch on most of the cameras is now less positive due to many years of student use.

My own cameras consist of 3-second hand models, an OM2n, OM40 & OM10.

I have been using the same lithium CR 1/3N battery, swapping it between my 3 cameras with excellent results for the last 6 months. As a test on its life during this period, 20x36 exposure films have been put through the cameras with a mix of natural and flash lighting being used, 4 of the films were used in Paris at temperatures below freezing. The battery still measures 3 volts.

I had a second OM40 which I got rid of 6 months ago due to a persistent intermittent problem with mirror lock up. It went to the repairers 5 times to try to cure this fault with no avail, I also tried all known battery types.

Due to deteriorating eyesight I have recently fitted a -1diopter-correcting lens to the viewfinder, focusing is now easy and precise.

My only criticism of Olympus OM cameras is that the aperture is not displayed in the viewfinder.

My conclusion is that Olympus cameras are still worth buying second hand, most are excellent and are happy with any battery and others, just dam difficult. If you get a difficult camera, don't spend a lot of cash on repairs, get rid of it and spend the money on another second hand camera with a guarantee. If it turns out to be good keep and treasure it.

My favourite camera is the OM2n chrome. (I prefer Chrome for looks, it also wears better than black finish). My favourite lens is the Vivitar Series1 28-105 f2.8-3.8; this lens mounted on the OM2n makes a fine all round combination.

NORMAN DUDMAN UK

email   nor_45@xxxxxxxxxxx