Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?

Subject: Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:01:13 -0400
I have been using a Kenko MC 2X teleconverter since last summer.  I have used it
with my 85mm/2 and 135mm/3.5 last fall to my satisfaction.

Since reading the test results on the 200mm/4/5 with a Zuiko 2X, I have begun to
explore the results of the Kenko teleconverter on my 200mm/5.  At the moment, I
can say in broad daylight, the combination works O.K.

I have been also testing an Olympus B300 teleconverter designed for the IS-3
(L-3, IS-3000).  This is the infamous teleconverter I got in trouble by ordering
one from PhotoGraphic Photo & Video.  I now have one  from B&H and am working to
dispute the charge for their shipping of a Phoenix 2X Teleconverter by
PhotoGraphic Photo & Video.  The B300 is a 1.7x teleconverter with a mount
diameter of 55mm.  It mounts on the front of the lens rather than in between the
lens and the camera body.

It is possible to use the B300 on the 200mm/5 (step-down ring) or on the 200mm/4
, in which combo one begins to notice the problem of balance when mounted on a
tripod.  For faster shutter speeds, it has produced decent results.

The big advantage of the B300 over the regular teleconverter is very little
light loss with this teleconverter.  Consequently, it is possible to use faster
shutter speeds, thus avoiding the camera/lens shake problem.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/