Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens to Camera Adapters was Re: [OM] Adapters
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:44:58 -0400
"Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>The OM lenses can be>used on the EOS, Leica L, Leica M >>and two video
cameras, the Canon EX1/EX2
>>and XL-1.  Some of these adapters (e.g. OM Zuiko to the >>Leica M) are noted
to have been made in Germany.  I hope >>that some of German members can look up
on
>>lens to >camera adapters available in Germany.
>
>Thanks fo doing all this research I'm grateful.  While I'm >disappointed that
OM bodies are harder to adapt than the >lenses, it is nice to know that Zuiko
lenses can be used with >Leicas (and EOS).  I'm wondering though how the
>focusing might work on the rangefinder bodies.
As for the question above, my guess is that you may have to measure the distance
to the subject with your eyes and set the lens accordingly.

As for the OM-to-EOS adapter, I have ordered one unit through my brother for
someone in the US and with that person's permission I'll be able to use the
adapter for one week.  For this test I need to borrow an EOS-1n, the body this
adapter is best suited with the use of the OM Zuiko lenses.  According to the
manufacturer (or they might be just the distributor), this OM-to-EOS adapter
allows the use of the Olympus lenses without light loss on the EOS-1n (some
compensation up to 1 stop is needed on the other EOS bodies).  Of course, one
cannot do autofocusing, but the aperture-priority metering and manual exposure
setting work with this arrangement.  No problem with infinity according to the
source.

I got to thinking this evening that if the Zuiko lens can be used on the EOS
body without much loss, Olympus should be able to build an auto-focusing new
body which would allow the use of Zuiko lenses without too much difficulties.

I was wondering how many people on this list would be seriously interested in
having the OM-to-EOS adapter.  Let me know off-list to mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
.  The price of the adapter is around $200.

Regarding the film, Glen wrote:
>Mostly I've been using HP5 at 800 or 1600 ISO.  Have also >experimented with
>TMAX 3200, which seems very flat at 3200 but pretty good >at 1600--though I
haven't used it enough to know where the >problems are with the film or my
darkroom technique.  Last >week I shot the new Ilford 3200 at 3200 (which is
>a little less that convenient on the OM-1n) and the proofs >look quite good
under the loupe, but I haven't printed >anything so I can't say for sure.
I have no experience with B&W nor the darkroom work, so let's hope that somebody
else would chime in.

>In colour, I've tried Royal Gold 800 and Super G 800, but >again not enough
really know what they can do.
A lot of people rave about the Fuji 800, so I think you might want to try at
various speeds to see which one is best for your subject.
Regarding the lenses other than the Zuiko 50/1.4.

>No I never have. I've used the Zuiko 50/1.4 extensively and I >recently
acquired a 28/2 (which seems quite good). While I >don't have an 85/2 (I keep
trying to get one but missing the >boat) or 100/2, I've used my EOS 100/2 quite
a bit and it >works well.  But here's the catch, I don't have to focus the >EOS
lens.  While I'm tempted to stick with autofocus, the >literary events (poetry
readings) I'm shooting  tend not only >to be dark but quiet too, so the Elan IIe
is too loud--not to >mention the fact that the red focus assist light is kind of
>distracting.
>I really like the unobtrusive OM-1n, but I need all the focus >assistance I can
muster. In this sense, it's not entirely the >film speed that I'm worried about,
but light in the view finder.
If you like to use the OM-1n then, your viewfinder solution might be to get John
Hermanson to fit a 2-x screen in the OM-1n and adjust the exposure meter
accordingly.  IMO, the 2-x screen is brighter than the Beatti screen (the one
with grid, compared to my 2-4 screen).  This way you can focus faster.
Last year I was shooting the stage performance with the 85mm/2 on my 4T with the
2-4 screen and sometimes I used the f2.8 rather than wide open.

Also I would like to point out that if you go to a moderate telephoto, you are
cropping the dark background and focusing on the person who I hope may be lit.
Therefore you do not need the same aperture as the 50mm to get a good exposure.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/