Re: [OM] 100/2.8 or 85/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2.8 or 85/2
From: David Irisarri Vila <valicors@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:33:34 +0200
Hi A.Victoria,
    I love portrait too. I´ve been using for portrait always one
E.Zuiko 50/1.8 SC and now my new 50/1.2 MC. I think you should
bear in mind "speed"; 85/2 is one stop faster and this in many
situations is an important factor. If you´re thinking about
blurring the background, in my opinion you won´t blur more the
back with 100/2.8 (working distance is nearly the same and 85/2
is one stop faster); I would prefer closer working distance
because I like to speak with people when I am taking the photos.
Olympus made a very professional, with close focus aberration
correction mechanism, very sharp, lightweight and compact lens.
You should be cared of the wide range of 85/2 lenses (SC or MC)
and I think there´re versions with 6E and others with only 5E.
Another reason to use 85/2; if you want to use a neutral density
filter or maybe polariser, f2.8 will fall to f4-f5.6 with very slow
shutter speeds.

I don´t know how to say it in english but the number of "blades"??
will affect to bokeh and I think this is also an important factor
for portrait; specially when you have highlights in the background.
I recently have to take some photos with my girlfrind´s CANON 500N
and 35-80/4-5.6 zoom lens; and bokeh (I think it´s composed by
many circles of confusion???) was composed by rhombs (what a shit
lens)
I hope this could help you a little to choose.

Best regards,

Dave