[OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry

Subject: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry
From: "Kinkead, Frank W" <Frank.Kinkead@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:35:05 -0500
I've have an opportunity to photograph a law enforcement team during
simulated drills.  The drills will involve entry and rescue maneuvers to be
accomplished by teams of between 4 to 8 officers per drill:

Purpose:
- Document training procedures & tactics
- Critique of tactics (post drill)
- Public relations purposes

Location:
- 40 ft by 30 ft walled structure, open to the sky, built of thick railroad
ties (8 feet tall), with a maze-like interior

Situation:
- Weapons will be cleared of projectiles and will fire in simulation only;
live destraction devices will be used to create loud noise and light flashes
(requiring eye & ear protection).
- Small teams will make methodical quick approaches to the building, enter
the building, work through the structure, and secure all areas.

Photographic Constraints & Considerations:
- Eye & ear protection will be required; I'm not experienced at focusing
through eye protection/glasses
- No flash work; a safety issue arising by temporarily blinding team members

- Any photos attempted inside the structure will be in close quarters;
probably no more than 3-8 ft from moving team members as the maze is very
restrictive (no opportunity to hyperfocus)
- Drills will occur from 2pm until dark
- Drills will repeat during this time allowing opportunities to re-position
- Everyone will be moving fast, very crouched, and dressed in black
(difficult focusing)
- If it is a bright day, the structure interior will have enormous shadow
patterns everywhere from its open to the sky design and tall walls (will
improve later in day)
- A tower exists overlooking the structure but from its perch, not much
floor plan is actually visible; mostly portions of walls that would obstruct
photos of team member activity

Equipment Available:
- OM4/OM1 (no auto focus cameras)
- 28 f2.8/50 f1.4/100 f2.8/135 f2.8/80-205 f3.8 lenses
- Winders 1/2
- Planning to use color print Fuji 400 & 800 ASA for "available light" work

I've offered to think through how to work with these constraints.  If I
cannot accomplish this, I can "stage" team members between drills but I'll
loose the purpose and dynamic of the assignment.

If anyone has any ideas, please adivse.

Chip Kinkead