Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:00:44 PDT
Gary Schloss wrote:

One of the most intriguing possibilities with the B300 is the option
to mount it on the very sharp Zuiko 55mm F1.2 lens -- to plug a huge
hole in the Zuiko line-up: the lack of an ultra-fast portrait lens.

Moreover, with the Olympus B300/B28 attachments it appears to be
impossible to use filters: there are no threads on their fronts,
and inserting the filters between the lens and these front-mounted
TC's may have undesirable effects (I haven't tried it myself).

Not impossible, Gary. For black and white or warming filters, cut gel filters down to a suitable diameter and stick them in between the B300 and the front element. Same for diffusion using black or other color fabric netting material. Can't think offhand why one would want a polarizer for this portait setup, but I am sure and oversized filter (maybe 58-62 mm) could be taped on front of the B300. Just have to be careful that the tape didn't interfere with rotating the front glass.

All in all an intriguing idea. Unfortunately, a quick check of the Wolf Camera catalog, the only one I have at work, shows a retail price of $210 US for the B300. Do some of the filter makers market a similar attachment? Like they used to for rangefinders? I will be looking for an A200 now.

Gary Edwards