RE: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry

Subject: RE: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:25:04 -0600
Hi All,

Chip wrote:

> Situation:
> - Weapons will be cleared of projectiles and will fire in simulation only;
> live destraction devices will be used to create loud noise and
> light flashes (requiring eye & ear protection).

As a former reserve officer who has gone through similar training, I would
be somewhat concerned with flinching caused by the pops and flashes, which
are random by their nature. It will take a lot of concentration to hold the
camera anything like steady. Count on at least two stops loss for higher
shutter speeds.

> Photographic Constraints & Considerations:
> - Eye & ear protection will be required; I'm not experienced at focusing
> through eye protection/glasses

Focusing through safety glasses is difficult at best: if these are sratched
up it may be impossible. Try to arrange for a new pair ahead of time.

> - If it is a bright day, the structure interior will have enormous shadow
> patterns everywhere from its open to the sky design and tall walls (will
> improve later in day)

A reduced contrast film, such as Fuji NPH, would help mitigate the high
contrast problem.

Hope this helps a little.

Will von Dauster

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde