Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus B300 (was: Teleconverters)
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:54:28 -0400
Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:
>>I have been testing an Olympus B300 teleconverter designed for the
>>IS-3.  The B300 is a 1.7x teleconverter with a mount diameter of 55mm.
>>It mounts on the front of the lens rather than in between the lens and
>the camera body.
>[snip]
>The big advantage of the B300 over regular TC's is very little light
>loss with this teleconverter.  Consequently, it is possible to use
>faster shutter speeds, thus avoiding the camera/lens shake problem.

>One of the most intriguing possibilities with the B300 is the option
>to mount it on the very sharp Zuiko 55mm F1.2 lens -- to plug a huge
>hole in the Zuiko line-up: the lack of an ultra-fast portrait lens.

I had tested my B300 on my 50mm/1.4 earlier before you mentioned it, Gary.  I
thought that there was too much vignetting using a step-up ring, and I just
double-checked on that point.

The B300 is matched to the 180mm end of the zoom on the IS-3, so the 50/55mm
focal length may be too wide.  With the 85mm/2, the result was acceptable so
far.

BTW, I paid $123.50 for the B300 which I bought from B&H (my initial attempt
with PhotoGraphic Photo & Video was a disaster).  I did not get any Oly warranty
card with the shipment and I suspect that this might be a grey-market item.

Cooper's Camera Mart, my local camera store, will sell it for about $180 ($210
is too high, very close to the list).  This will bring a proper Oly warranty.

If you don't want to spend too much money, I have seen a couple of them at the
KEH website a few days ago. I wish I had checked their site just before I placed
my order.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/