Re: [OM] XA question - long post

Subject: Re: [OM] XA question - long post
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:12:34 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: EricSwansn@xxxxxxx

Hello Eric

I'm also having overexposure problems with my XA, which was stored in its
box, unused for about five years and the cause is very obvious - I can hear
and see that the shutter is much slower than the speed indicated in the
viewfinder. Only when the needle is up near 1/500 does the shutter sound
instantaneous, around 1/30th. An indicated 1/30th opens the shutter for a
couple of seconds! When set to flash though, the shutter sounds fine.

I put a 100 asa print film through it, set the camera to 800 asa and took a
range of pictures outdoors in various light conditions and they came out
well enough - negatives only a bit more dense than usual, but the printer
clearly compensated for that. I was expecting slow speeds when I took the
pictures and held the camera exceptionally still - on one shot in dull
conditions, the face of a woman looking in a shop window was blurred as she
turned!

Check for something like this on yours in case the same problem applies. Are
your negatives particularly dense?

It was suggested to me from the List, while the film was loaded, that there
may be oil on the shutter blades but now the film is out I can't see any
sign of any, but wouldn't oil affect the Flash speed too?

Regards,
Keith (Birmingham UK)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx