Re: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography Assignment - Advice Inquiry
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Kinkead, Frank W wrote:

> I've have an opportunity to photograph a law enforcement team during
> simulated drills.  The drills will involve entry and rescue maneuvers to be
> accomplished by teams of between 4 to 8 officers per drill:
>
> Purpose:
> - Document training procedures & tactics

  Find out from them what THE most important aspects of the operation
are with regard to illustration. If they have a training film or manual,
study it before the day of the shoot.

> - Critique of tactics (post drill)

  Talk to the man in charge, ask him what he's looking for.

> - Public relations purposes
>
> Location:
> - 40 ft by 30 ft walled structure, open to the sky, built of thick railroad
> ties (8 feet tall), with a maze-like interior

  Sounds like a 24 or a 20 might come in handy.

> Situation:
> - Weapons will be cleared of projectiles and will fire in simulation only;
> live destraction devices will be used to create loud noise and light flashes
> (requiring eye & ear protection).

  Borrow the goggles ahead of time so you can practice with them on.

> - Small teams will make methodical quick approaches to the building, enter
> the building, work through the structure, and secure all areas.

  This sounds like a job for 2 people, one stationed outside, the other
one inside.

> Photographic Constraints & Considerations:
> - Eye & ear protection will be required; I'm not experienced at focusing
> through eye protection/glasses

 Get the goggles. Practice. The worst part will be coping with the
adrenalin rush. I would clamp a camera overhead with a very wide and
trigger it remotely for a different viewpoint, maybe another in a corner.

> - No flash work; a safety issue arising by temporarily blinding team members
>
> - Any photos attempted inside the structure will be in close quarters;
> probably no more than 3-8 ft from moving team members as the maze is very
> restrictive (no opportunity to hyperfocus)

  With a 28 only ? You're in trouble.

> - Drills will occur from 2pm until dark
> - Drills will repeat during this time allowing opportunities to re-position

   I keep thinking of a bird's eye view. Can you perch yourself on the
corner of the structure from the outside, on a tall ladder ? (held by an
assistant, of course). You can rent this ladder at most "Home Repair"
places. If their budget was big enough, I'd have scaffolding erected
along one of the sides, so I could walk in parallel as they moved through
the structure. I'd also shoot video.

> - Everyone will be moving fast, very crouched, and dressed in black
> (difficult focusing)
> - If it is a bright day, the structure interior will have enormous shadow
> patterns everywhere from its open to the sky design and tall walls (will
> improve later in day)

  If you shoot too close, there may not be reference points in the maze
to indicate where you were. Something to think about.

> - A tower exists overlooking the structure but from its perch, not much
> floor plan is actually visible; mostly portions of walls that would obstruct
> photos of team member activity
>
> Equipment Available:
> - OM4/OM1 (no auto focus cameras)
> - 28 f2.8/50 f1.4/100 f2.8/135 f2.8/80-205 f3.8 lenses

  Looks like the 28 gets the workout.

> - Winders 1/2
> - Planning to use color print Fuji 400 & 800 ASA for "available light" work

  Film choice sounds right. TTL metering will probably not work with the
black outfits, so bring the grey card or a handheld meter.

> I've offered to think through how to work with these constraints.  If I
> cannot accomplish this, I can "stage" team members between drills but I'll
> loose the purpose and dynamic of the assignment.

  I would do this anyway, no matter what.

> If anyone has any ideas, please adivse.

  Rehearse this. Take a friend into the structure, or borrow a cop,
if you know them well, and get a good idea of what will happen
 BEFORE the shoot.
                           Good luck,

                             *= Doris Fang =*