RE: [OM] Light via viewfinder/eyeglasses

Subject: RE: [OM] Light via viewfinder/eyeglasses
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:17:53 +1000
John wrote:

>I am relatively new to OMs but I have never experienced
> this situation
> with my OM4T. I thought that the light meter was activated
> only by light
> entering through the lens and not by backfill light going
> through the eye
> piece into the metering system. I wear glasses and make sure
> that I do not
> scratch the lenses by putting them right up against the eye
> piece. So far I
> have not experienced noticeably incorrectly exposed photos on
> account of
> leakage of backfill lighting.

True for OM-3(T(i)), OM-4(T(i)), OM-2S(P), but I'm not sure about the 2
digit OMs.

However for the OM-1(N) and OM-2(N) the metering for manual is done by
cell(s) in the prism area.  This is fairly heavily influenced by light
entering the viewfinder, however for the OM-2(N) there should be no effect
on auto exposures by light entering the viewfinder (since the exposure is
measured off the film/shutter curtains) but the actual exposure will be
different to the indicated exposure.

I always think of the focussing cloth idea used on the old view cameras !

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/