Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 06:11:26 EDT
In a message dated 5/13/99 1:49:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, WKato@xxxxxxx
writes:

<< I wonder if I could trouble the group for some advice on the low light
 metering capabilities of the OM4Ti. What is the longest automatic exposure I
 can make with a spot meter on the OM4Ti?

Hi Warren,

I think the upper limit of the 4ti will go all the way to 4 minutes on auto,
which should give you some latitude.   When I was there, it was quite dark
and I shot at f22 for depth, though I think f16 would have been sufficient.
 What I did was spot the brightest part of the scene and compensate about 1.5
stops to make it a very light tone.   I also added another stop/ or stop and
a half for reciprocity.   Needless to say, I did a lot of bracketing around
that.    I also used the mirror pre-fire, but I think that when you get up
around a minute or so, it doesn't make that much difference.

The 4t was *perfect* in my opinion for the slots.   The other folks with
fancy Nikons and Canons were fumbling around with stop watches and borrowing
light meters while I just metered and fired away on auto.

Good shooting!

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack NY