[OM] how full-aperture metering works

Subject: [OM] how full-aperture metering works
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:28:54 -0700
>Let me rephrase the question this way:
>
>"How can you get full-aperture readings when the lens doesn't seem to have any
>way of telling the camera what its maximum aperture is?"

Answer: the camera doesn't care what the maximum aperture is.

>For example, suppose the aperture-position lever is calibrated to give correct
>exposure with an f/2.8 lens.

That's an incorrect assumption, upon which the other misgivings rest.

The aperture-position lever is calibrated to say "I'm all the way open" or
to say "I'm n stops slower than all the way open." It does not say "I'm set
to 2.8 now."

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229