[OM] C2000 Zoom

Subject: [OM] C2000 Zoom
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 21:27:09 -0400
This afternoon I walked to my local camera store to pick up a 52-55 stepup ring
to try the B300 on the Zuiko 70-210mm zoom 4.5/5.6.

While I did get the ring and a roll of Reala, I got to have a first look at the
Camedia 2000 Zoom.  The store owner happens to be on hand and told me that they
just got the C2000zoom in last night.

Well, the camera was a cute little thing.  Definitely smaller than I thought.  I
do have a life-size picture on a Japanese brochure, but it looked smaller in
real life.  Perhaps the size is relative.  Compared to your hand, even my small
hand, the camera is small.

Manual focus is definitely limited in that it is possible to turn off AF at
2.5m/8ft and at infinity (portrait or landscape).  I got to see how aperture
priority auto exposure works and I saw myself in the LCD screen a moment after
he took a shot of me.

I did consider seriously whether this camera would be useful in my work, but for
the moment I cannot justify its purchase.  I would love to have a digital back
for the OM or a reasonably-priced 35mm SLR instead.

For those who are seriously interested in this digital camera, Cooper's is
selling this camera at $999.  In the US, you might find a less expensive price
elsewhere.  If the worldwide warranty is important, you would need to pay for
it.  Cooper's or a regular Olympus dealer can provide one.

I am sure that similar cameras would come out one after another.  However, there
may come a time when the things reach some plateau.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/