Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:46:18 -0500
At 06:47 PM 5/13/99 -0600, Ron Crabtree wrote:
>I spot metered a medium area of the canyon, adjusted both cameras
>to the same f-stop, fired the empty OM and then immediately opened the
>Pentax as a time exposure.  I closed the Pentax when the OM closed its
>shutter.

snip

>I feel badly using my beloved OM4t as a mere meter, but it performs very
>well in this role.

Hi Ron,

This is interesting, since your exposure is determined by an OTF metering
system which presupposes the density and reflectance of film to get the
correct exposure times (or so I thought).  One would think you might get
over-exposures.  If not, perhaps the somewhat longer times doing OTF
exposures without film help check the potential of reciprocity failure?

Have you ever done this technique with film in the OM-4T?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA