Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:36:11 -0500
At 02:40 AM 5/14/99 EDT, Tim you wrote in part:
>          Here is a handy url for easy look up and explanation of EV values:
>http://www.hyperzine.com/evtable.html
>but the site only shows values down to -1 EV although you can obviously
>continue the series down lower yourself.

Thanks for this URL. Very handy.

>However the OM2N service manual lists some extreme values as well as the
EV's
>so here is the complete quoted spec (including weasel words ) from Olympus:
>
>"Measuring range : ASA 100 from F1.2, 120seconds to F16,1/1000sec. (EV-6.5 -
>EV18) (at normal temperature and humidity)"
>
>The OM2N service manual also compares the old OM2 exposure shutoff limit to
>the improved 2N limit with about  two pages of detailed description. The old
>OM2 had a much more variable exposure limiter which could get limits from a
>minimum of 2min to as long as 20minutes, while the 2N has a limit "a few
>seconds" over 2min according to one diagram. But elsewhere they say there is
>no possibility of it getting over 5min. My translation: they hope for a few
>seconds over 2min but worst case you might get as long a total time as 5min.

I had thought it was the 2N that promised the famous 19-minute exposures,
but apparently it could only have been the OM-2?  Interestingly, my book
(not a service manual however) on the OM-2S gives a measuring range very
similar to what you list above.  I am relatively certain on at least one
occasion that I have taken exposures with the OM-2S for much longer than 2
minutes and at f8 (longer than 2 minutes but probably not longer than 5).
Am I just not understanding something here, or do I have a weird and
prodigious OM-2S?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA