Re: [OM] Re: serial numbers

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: serial numbers
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:05:48 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 2:39 PM
Subject: [OM] Re: serial numbers

>>From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>>> The first time I saw this 12345xxx format for serial numbers was in ads
>>>for used
>>> Leica lenses. The reason? You don't want to publicize "real" serial
>>>numbers so
>>> that dishonest people can use them to make fraudulent insurance claims.
>>
>>The first time I saw this kind of thing was in ads for guns. It was
>>explained that there had been several cases of people using the
information
>>to claim that the gun in question had been stolen, and to actually try to
>>"recover" the gun from the advertiser.
>
>The solution seems simple and important for more than the reason of
>thwarting such antics: don't buy from anyone who gives you "bad vibes," and
>always insist on a receipt, including the seller's complete contact
>information. Any seller who doesn't want their address or phone number on a
>receipt is to be avoided.
>
>Posession is 9/10ths of the law. If you have a valid receipt, and can
>effectively argue that in good faith, you had no idea an item was stolen,
>no one's going to take it from you, especially if you can point authorities
>back to the seller.

Unfortunately the other 1/10 of the law will prevail. The stolen goods will
revert back to their true owner and the defrauded purchaser will have to
seek financial redress from the vendor. The general rule is that the vendor
can not give any better title than he himself had in the first place.
Whether the defrauded purchaser bought in good faith and for fair value is
largely irrelevent.

jh