Re: [OM] macro flash

Subject: Re: [OM] macro flash
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:17:41 -0400
Welcome to the list :)   Apologize not for your English - you have a fine
command of it.

As Denton mentioned, the Oly flashes work very nicely with the OM-4 with
full TTL capability.  The number following the T- is the unit's guide number
in meters at ISO 100.  The T-8 ringlight comes with two reflectors.  The
light output is perpendicular to the optical axis and produces a very fine,
even illumination without shadow.  The T-10 ringlight output is parallel to
the optical axis.  While more powerful, the light is a little more harsh.
The T-10 can be fitted with a cross polarizing filter for work with
reflective objects.  The T-28 is available in two models, one head or two.
You need the mounting ring for this unit, which screws onto 49mm or 55mm
filter threads and provides mounting shoes (cold) to position the flash
heads exactly where you want them.  The T-28 heads accept all filters for
the T-32 flash, including neutral density, diffuser, and colored filters.
All these units have built-in modeling lamps which provide a fair
approximation of how any shadows may look in the final image.  It is not
perfect, but gives a very good preview.  An external 6 vold DC power source
is needed for the modeling lamps - a 6v dry cell works just fine and is
cheap, especially compared to the Oly 6v Power Pack 1 unit which holds 4 "D"
cells and costs a minor fortune for what it is.

All the Oly macro flashes require the T-Power Control 1 unit, which is the
size and shape of a T-32 flash, only instead of a flash tube in the front of
the unit, there is a special twist plug electrical connector.  This one
power source can be used with all the macro flash heads.

Flashes for "normal" photography that can be pressed into macro service,
consider pairs of T-20 or T-32 units.  Add a TTL multi-connector, the
required TTL cords to connect everyone together, and a third party (or home
made) bracket to hold the flashes out around the lens (as opposed to on the
hot shoe) and you have it both ways.  I do not believe the Oly mounting ring
will work because the T-20, and especially the T-32, are too heavy for it to
support.

Only Oly flashes will work on the OM bodies without using adapters of some
kind and still provide full TTL/OTF flash control.  If you can solve the
mounting problem, then many manufacturers have flash units with TTL adapters
for the OM system - Metz and Sunpak come to mind immediately.  The Metz
website is www.metz.de (Deutsch and English).  Sunpak offers a ring light
attachment for its 622 pro model (see http://www.sunpak.com/prosp.html ).
The 622 unit may be a good fit for your dual-purpose requirement because of
its interchangable head capability.  While the base unit is fairly
expensive, individual heads are cheap.  They also offer two models of ring
light only, with guide numbers of 26 and 40 respectively.  See
http://www.sunpak.com/dx8r.html for details.

Good luck, and please share your results with the group.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".