[OM] Telescope adaptor

Subject: [OM] Telescope adaptor
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 07:39:50 -0400
In my earlier ramblings about adapting cameras to telescopes I forgot
the very important OM content... which is very important in this case.

After getting over the physical problems of attaching the camera one has
to be able to do critical focus under dim light and avoid as much
vibration in the camera as possible.  One would like interchangeable
focusing screens (with a specialized screen), a magnifier to help with
critical focus and the ability to lock the mirror up before exposure.

In the late 60's when I started doing this there weren't many choices
and there are even fewer today.  One could use Nikon, Canon, Topcon,
Exacta or Miranda.  I chose Miranda based on what I could afford and it
served me well.

In the late 70's I started looking for a more modern camera with TTL
metering.  By that time the list of cameras with acceptable features was
down to Nikon, Canon and Olympus (maybe Topcon, I don't recall).  From
the spec sheets I didn't like the OM line because it didn't offer a
removeable prism (I still wish it did).  However, as soon as I picked up
the cameras and saw how light they were and how easy to handle I was
hooked... and still am.

Obviously, a lot of other people felt the same since the OM-1 seems to
be the main choice for astrophotography.  I did not buy an OM-2 back
then since it didn't have mirror lock-up. Some models of the OM line
offer mirror pre-fire.  All can use the vari-magni finder but not all
have interchangeable screens.