Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:25:00 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/99 10:08:33 PM EST, jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< I've used my OM-2S as a meter for my OM-1 but with film in both. Gary Reese
 discussed this last summer.  Worked great for fireworks.

Am I missing something in this "film vs. no film in camera" discussion? If
you're just using the camera to take a meter reading, it doesn't matter if
there's film loaded, the meter reading is "TTL" off the lower mirror not off
the film. If you press the shutter, the reading is then  OTF, and you would
be taking a picture (and hence getting the correct exposure for the scene).
        Having film in the camera only matters if you're pressing the shutter
release, and comparing the exposure times between the two cameras; then, of
course, the exposure time would vary and most likely be a couple of stops
off, since then the
"no film" situation creates reflectance problems.
        But if you're just using the meter in camera "A", and you're exposing
film in another "OTF" camera, camera "B", then camera "B" should give the
more correct exposure since it will vary the exposure time from the metered
time as it is being taken. ( then you _would_ expect to see a difference in
duration. )

Right all?
George S.