[OM] modification for silver oxide battery

Subject: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:24:40 -0700
>From: "Neil Bell" <neil.bell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
..
>Mercury batteries have just been banned in the UK, so I'm trying to
>convert my OM1n... I
>peruaded [Olympus] to just send me the components...
>for which they charged me £10 ( I don't know much
>about electronics but I can use a soldering iron )...

Maybe not... :-)

>... the thing I've
>been sent is a tiny flattish black rectangle, like an integrated
>circuit, about 3mm by 1.5mm, with two flat contacts coming out one
>side and one contact at the other side. Does anyone know (or can they
>deduce) how this should be fitted?

This sounds like a SMT (Surface Mount Technology) part.

I would recommend that you spend the £30 to have a pro do the mod, unless
you're on the dole or otherwise find that too expensive.

If you decide to plow ahead, you'll want more than just a soldering iron.
I'd get a magnifying lamp, some tiny tweezers and toothpicks, and a very
low power soldering iron with a super fine tip.

Then go to a bigger electronics parts house and get a bunch of SMT
components to experiment with -- resistors are probably the cheapest, and
most similar in size and shape to the diode. The go to a yard sale and pay
as little as possible for something with a printed circuit board. Then
practice.

By this time, you will probably have spent more than £30 in stuff and time.
Unless you plan to be messing around with SMT in the future, this will be
wasted stuff and experience, better spent taking photos with your
professionally upgraded camera!

Alternatively, scrap the SMT diode, and find one with leads that anyone
with moderate soldering skills can install. It isn't just the small size,
but the lack of mechanical security -- the leads -- that make SMT devices
difficult to work with.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229