Re: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery

Subject: Re: [OM] modification for silver oxide battery
From: "Neil Bell" <neil.bell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:50:17 +0000
>Sounds like a diode in a surface mount. Sometimes they come with two
>diodes in a package, with a common cathode, common anode, etc.......

>it sounds like they sent you a surface mount component. Probably
>what is called an SOT23 package or similar. (SOT stands for small
>outline transistor)........

Ok -

I got hold of a multimeter.

I'll call the two contacts on one side of the diode "contact A" and
"contact B" and the single contact on the other side "contact X" :-

I got a reading for resistance which was off the scale (i.e. the
needle on the meter didn't move at all - presumably effectively
no flow of current?) for all permutations except where the negative
probe of the meter was connected to contact A  and the positive
probe to contact X. The resistance in this case seemed to be about 1K
Ohm, if I'm reading the scale correctly. Does this mean that I should
connect the negative terminal of the OM1 battery compartment to
contact A and the wire currently attached to this terminal to contact
X? Is contact B effectively a dummy?

Please excuse my almost complete ignorance of electronics - a
deficiency I may try to rectify sometime if anyone can recommend a
good book!!?

Thanks,

Neil.