Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"

Subject: Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 09:48:31 -0700
John;

Yeah, this is kinda like what I try to do. Not drawers though, rather
bags and bookshelves. I've got 2 camera bags, a large Tamrac shoulder
bag and a Photo-trekker backpack, and a Pelican case and a Halliburton.
I really do need to reorganize a lot and have decided to convert an old
glass top/front stereo cabinet to camera/lens storage, display and
anti-fungus cabinet, based partly on one of Doris' posts.

My biggest problem I have (and I know I won't get much sympathy out of a
lot of folks on this one) is that the Zuiko-bug has gotten me so bad
that I'm dazed and confused.  I've purchased so much equipment in the
last 2 years that I actually have a terrible time trying to organize it
and trying to pick a 'kit' whenever I go out photo'ing. You seem to have
overcome the same situation. I've tried to put together separate 'kits',
the serious kit in the backpack and the everready car kit in the
Tamrac.  But inevitably something is missing when I need it from
whichever kit I've got.  And some things just don't fit very well - like
the T8 w/reflectors.

I think your method, where everything is stored where it can be seen and
grabbed when needed, may be my next attempt. I know already though that
I'll have a tough time talking myself into unloading a bag when I get
home.

Somehow I also need to thin out my collection, but I have a real hard
time deciding what I think I'll never need again! Eg, I've got the
65-200, the 100-200 and the 85-250. Do I **need** all three? Yeah,
right. But when I try to sell one, I think - well, not the 65-200 cause
it's a one-touch, handles real well and has a reasonably good
close-focus at 200mm for loads of working distance. And, well, not the
100-200 cause it's relatively light and can be used with the 2X, so it
might be a nice light way to get 400mm on a backpack trip. And certainly
not the 85-250 as it has so much range and it seems to be a hair better
performer than either of the other two.

BTW - non OM - I also have an old M645. I've got 2 lenses, the 80/1.9
(great nite lens - pretty sharp all the way to the corners) and the
145/4 soft focus (wonderful addition to my capabilities. Produces
controllable effects I can't get any other way). And a Vivitar doubler,
not used much but seems pretty good when I have used it.  Which lenses
have you got and what are your comments on them?

Thanks

George