Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"

Subject: Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 15:15:44 -0400
George M. Anderson <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>My biggest problem I have .... I've purchased so much equipment in the
>last 2 years that I actually have a terrible time trying to organize it
>and trying to pick a 'kit' whenever I go out photo'ing.

Hehehehe......Yeah...lots of sympathy for that "problem"  <vbg>

>I know already though that I'll have a tough time talking myself into
unloading a bag when I >get home.

Actually, that is sometimes very awkward and perhaps the biggest down side
of my approach.  But curious kids help "motivate" me, so in general it gets
done quickly.

>BTW - non OM - I also have an old M645..... Which lenses
>have you got and what are your comments on them?

All my M645 lenses are the original optical formula, denoted by a green "C"
on the engraving on the front of the lens.  They are:

  45mm f/2.8    Used for outdoor stuff all the  time
  80mm f/2.8    General purpose, use with bellows
 150mm f/4      Very nice for portraits - got a bunch of reprint requests of
prom pix
                taken with this lens
 210mm f/4      Rarely used, but a fun lens.  Makes the 645 look like a
small cannon.
                Impossible to use the waist level finder with this one.

I find the lenses have a much different flavor to them compared to Zuikos.
Prints up to 8x10 are always sharper but the contrast is a little off and
the color is a bit different.  It's hard for me to describe.  At least they
are consistent among one another, same as Zuikos are (<-- lame attempt at OM
content:).  I can't speak to the newer "N" formulations as I've never used
one.

I'm giving serious consideration to modernizing the M645 with the new Pro TL
body and a couple of backs.  I like medium format becuase it forces me to
slow down.  I use a hand-held meter a lot more with it and think it all
through more.  No automation. And there is something special about focusing
that big image on ground glass with the waist level finder.  There are a few
unanswered questions about compatibility with my existing pieces.  If the
"C" lenses work and the metering finder works (I'm hard pressed to cough up
$1000 for the new AE reflex finder), I may just take the leap.

John P