Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"

Subject: Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:42:46 -0500
George M. Anderson whined:
>>My biggest problem I have .... I've purchased so much equipment in the
>>last 2 years that I actually have a terrible time trying to organize it
>>and trying to pick a 'kit' whenever I go out photo'ing.

My entire OM kit fits into a single medium sized bag.  Early fatherhood has
induced a major crimp on the equipment purchases.  I haven't even bought
anything from E-bay yet!  One of these days though I will actually be able
to spend $$$$ on camera equipment.  Do I hear a new medium format auto
focus camera coming into my life????  Currently my options are whether or
not I shoot the OM-1 or OM-2s and on which of three tripods.

John P wrote:
>I find the lenses have a much different flavor to them compared to Zuikos.
>Prints up to 8x10 are always sharper but the contrast is a little off and
>the color is a bit different.  It's hard for me to describe.  At least they
>are consistent among one another, same as Zuikos are (<-- lame attempt at OM
>content:).  I can't speak to the newer "N" formulations as I've never used
>one.

Agreed!  Mamiya lenses seem very flat in contrast to me.  I've owned three
different Mamiya systems now and the 100/3.5 on my Super-23 is the
contrastiest of them all.  The flat contrast is an advantage though.  35mm
needs the punch of contrasty films and lenses to make up for lack of
resolution (when enlarged) whereas larger formats are better with critical
detail areas such as shadows and fine details.  What is lost in contrast is
made up for in nuance.

Ken N
Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography, Broadcast Consulting and Audio Engineering

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306