Re: [OM] Re: serial numbers

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: serial numbers
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:55:30 +0200
Jan Steinman schrieb:

> Posession is 9/10ths of the law. If you have a valid receipt, and can
> effectively argue that in good faith, you had no idea an item was stolen,
> no one's going to take it from you,

I don´t know the laws in the USA, but in Germany you are not able to get
ownership of stolen goods, good faith or not (without good faith they
even might prosecute you as dealer of stolen goods).

But if you have an sales receipt, the one claiming your lens as stolen
good, needs to proof that he is the rightful owner and I doubt that
knowing the number would be enough.

BTW. I doubt that that kind of fraud is very common or how do you think
second hand camera shops could survive if the serial# fraud would work,
everybody can read the serial# of the goods for sale.

Regards

Richard