[OM] Pop Photo correspondence

Subject: [OM] Pop Photo correspondence
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:16:21 -0700
Folks;

I would like to present the e-mail correspondence I've been having with
Pop Photo over the 4T MLU issue.  I'll not editorialize.

My first message to them:

"Thanks for an interesting article.

I was amazed by the resolution improvements of up to 3000n the F5 with
Mirror Lock Up.

**But** I think there was an oversight in the list of all current
cameras which have MLU.  The OM-4Ti, like the Maxxum 9 and the PZ-1p
mentioned in the article, has a self-timer which locks-up the mirror
(and stops down the aperture) before the shutter opens. In the OM-4Ti
case, the pre-fire is set at 12 seconds.

I for one would like to see this corrected.

Thanks

George"

Their response:

"We have received similar messages from many other OM-4Ti owners, and
your are indded correct. However, a mirror lock that requires you to
wait 12 sec before the exposure is made is only useful with
stationary subjects."

My response:

"Thanks for responding.

The same argument can be made for a 2 second time delay.

George"

Them:

"I agree, but a 12-sec delay is even worse."

Me:

"Ok, well thanks for the dialog.

Do I wish the 4T had a 2 second option? You bet. But for shooting
landscapes, still lifes, macros, copy work, etc etc, 2 seconds is no
different than 12 as far as camera shake goes (and may, in fact, be
better-longer time for all harmonics to die down).

As for anything else, if you're shooting a bird or a moose or a flower
on a windy day, you can not rely on them holding still for 2 seconds any
more than for 12 seconds.

So, IMHO, the 2 second delay is better only because you can shoot more
frames in a given period of time.... And the 4T has mirror lockup as
defined in the article.

George"

Them:

"Frankly, I think that any mirror lock-up that relies on the self-timer
is a waste of time except under certain specific conditions, and is
not a real mirror lock-up. Mr. Keppler disagrees, and often uses the
2-sec lock-up feature on the copying stand and occasionally on the
microscope, claiming it is easier to actuate. He does not use it
for moving subjects."

Me:

"You have a point. Those 2 or 12 seconds are lost forever! However,
there can be no doubt that the photo will have a better chance of
having the best possible resolution using the self-timer MLU as
opposed to not. Keppler's tests proved that.  Certainly this is
a better way to implement a self-timer than that used in, say,
the Nikon 8008 where the mirror stays down until the exposure
is taken.

Lastly, I hope the comments you've received from myself and other 4T
owners will be passed along to Mr.Keppler.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.

George"

Them:

"My first statment to you was that we have recieved many similar
comments from other OM-4Ti owners. "We" includes Mr. Keppler."