Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"

Subject: Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
  All below is with general use in mind, except the macro kit...
   I keep one bag ready to go, the rest are assembled depending on
where where I'm going, what I am doing [from an embarrassingly
large, though not yet *cough*  complete amount of equipment].

  In an old Tenba bag...One OM body (OM-1,2,3) with a Winder II.
24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/2.0, 200/4.0 lenses go along, with
polarizers, 81A/B, XO, FL-D, Nikon-T C.U. and GND filters.
A handheld meter, T-32 or Vivitar 283/285 flash (depending on which
body comes along), with remote cord. Roscoe gels to tape over flash
in tungsten, fluorescent, and warming colors. Small rolled
up bit of duct-tape. Cut-down gray card and heavy rubber bands to
affix same to flash for bounce effects. Shades
for all the lenses. Cable releases for both
body and Winder. Extra camera batteries. 8-12 extra AA's. One XA with
the A-16 flash (or a 2nd body) small (Polaroid) table tripod (when is
someone going to make a truly light carbon fiber, thermoplastic or
titanium one ? Where have all the good designers gone ? :-) ...and 12
rolls of film.

 One set-up that has proven itself light & useful has been the 17/3.5
Tokina (or 24/2.0 Zuiko), 35-70/3.6, and the 135/2.8, one bod with
WinderII, T-32, cord, polarizers, 81A, Nikon T CU lens, FLD, GND, card for
flash, table tripod, film.

  When I want to travel light, I take the 28/2.8 and 85/2.0
an OM-1 and a teeny flash (either an old strobonar with a remote
 cord, or a newer Sunpak with bounce head in a tiny package), a polarizer,
81A, GND, FL-D, 4 extra AA's, film.

  The next-to-nothing outfit is an XA, with A16,  extra
batteries for camera and 4 AA's for flash, 6 rolls and it all
fits in a micro Lowe-Pro bag.

  For my occassional forays into macro country...an OM-2n with a Winder
II, and a OM-PC. (The Winder gets in the way of my bellows). The
Tokina 17/3.5, 24/2.8, 50/3.5, 135/2.8, 200/4.0. Also, Nikkor 45/2.8GN
and 105/4 bellows lens. Two sets of bellows, the OM and a Bowens
(very light), which has adapters for using almost any kind of lens
up front (ergo, the Nikons). Two T-32's, plus a T-20, 12 AA's. Two
Duo-Synch cords, Several reflector cards with spikes to stick them into
the ground, a 2x2 sheet of translucent plastic (rolled up), custom-made
large cards to stick in the T-32's hinge crack for close-up bounce (for
diffusing light). A few bungee cords to hold back offending branches.
Small axe & pruner (JUST KIDDING!). Table tripod (+ regular tripod),
Gossen light meter. Warming and light green (to intensify foliage) gels
for the flashes, duct tape rolled around my pen. Macro stage thingie
for the tripod, which makes life a lot easier. This all goes
into a giant Lowe-Pro. This is normally used at botanical gardens or
close by. It is one of those kits that matches Edward Weston's
famous (and wise) statement: "Anything further than 500 yards
from the car is NOT photogenic".
  If I have to traipse miles afoot to get there, I shed 1 body, 1 bellows,
1 T-32, some reflectors, the extra Duo-synch, all but the 17/3.5, 50/3.5
and 100/4 Nikkor, dump the handheld meter, too. Then it all fits a
much smaller Tamrac.

                                *= Doris Fang =*