Re: [OM] Zuikos in Kansas

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikos in Kansas
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:39:50 -0500
On Mon, 17 May 1999 21:50:26 -0700 mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Stoesz)
writes:
>Good Evening fellow photographers;
>
>In June I need to make two trips from Wyoming to Eastern Kansas
>(Ottawa).
>
>I am accepting route suggestions

Shortest and fastest:  Go to Denver, take I-70 East.  Without kids,
Denver to Ottawa can be done in a day. (you won't get many pictures taken
during that day)

>and ideas of what to photograph along
>the
>way and in that vicinity.

>From West to East:  Open FLAT Prairie and wheat fields, huge grain
elevators..  South of Oakley there are the Chalk Pyramids and Monument
Rocks.  Further East is Castle Rock.  At Hays, there is "Old Fort Hays."
At Victoria, there is the Cathedral of the Plains, very photogenic, but I
wish they hadn't put parking meters in front of it!!  Fort Riley is an
"open post."  You can drive in and photograph with a minimum of hassle.
They have the "Old Trooper's Calvary Museum" and numerous old limestone
barns and stables, and officers quarters are still standing and in use.
(The old Custer house may be of interest.)  From Ft. Riley going east you
enter the Flint Hills area.  Very scenic.  On the North side of I-70 is
the Konza Prairie, all native grasses and wildflowers, never been plowed.
 Take Highway 177 North from I-70 to get to a nice scenic overlook of the
Konza, and a couple of short walking trails.  If you have time in advance
and can make the arrangements through Kansas State University to get into
the non-public research areas, it gets even better.  If you'r lucky you
might get to see the Buffalo herd.   KSU at Manhattan also has a number
of historical and architecturally interesting older buildings.  Topeka
has the State Historical Society Museum West of town, just off I-70.
Better than you might think at first from the photographic standpoint.
For domestic flowers there is the Reinisch Rose Garden and the Doran Rock
Garden in Gage Park, as well as the World Famous Topeka Zoo. (The rain
forest there is particularly nice for photography)  Also at the same park
is a restored, operating 1908 Herschell-Spillman Carousel.   Then of
course there's me.  The First Presbyterian Church has absolutely gorgeous
genuine Tiffany Stained Glass Windows that alone are worth the trip.
Further East, in the Lecompton and Lawrence area are several other
historical sites.  This is just a few place off the top of my head.  If I
thought about it longer, I could come up with a lot more.  There's a lot
of Sante Fe and Oregon Trail  history in the area your traveling through.

Or you could take the Southern route, longer and slower,come in through
Liberal and Dodge City, check out Boot Hill.  You could look in on the
World's largest ball of hand wound twine, see the world's deepest hand
dug well, check out the Hutchison Space Museum, lots of other
stuff.........

Of course in the Ottawa area you'll be able to find plenty to photograph
also.

>I  will be photographing with the following: OM4t, 24f2.8, 50f3.5macro,
>35-70 f/2.8 Tokina AT-X, and Zuiko 65-200.  Also med.format Fuji
>645-S,
>Fuji G-690 BL w/100 & 150, Brooks Veriwide 100 and perhaps a
>Rolleiflex
>w/pan head
>
>A heavy Bogen tripod with their new panoramic head will undergo
>thorough
>testing.
>
>I like photographing the disappearing American Scene, old farmsteads,
>machinery, wild flowers, vast panorama, historic sites.

Shouldn't have any trouble finding any of this sort of thing.  In fact, I
got a '37 John Deere B in the shed, still runs, if your man enough to
spin the flywheel hard enough.

>Thanks in advance, Mike

If you need any more info, you might drop me a note off list.

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, KS