Re: [OM] Lens Testing - Counting Lines

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Testing - Counting Lines
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 03:06:22 EDT
Chip writes:

> I'm just learning to evaluate Gary Reese' quality reviews regarding
>  resolution and contrast, etc.; but I'm not familar with referring to lenses
>  as having lines per mm;  Is this another way to look at what Gary is doing
>  anyway ?

Think of it this way: A+ is the best that a lens can do.  B+ would be agreed
on nearly 900f the time as "poorer image rendering than A+."  That doesn't
make B+ bad, just significantly different.  C+ would be agreed on maybe 90%
of the time as "poorer image rendering than B+." And so on.

So, the difference between full letter grades is an obvious change in image
quality.  Less than 1 grade and there wouldn't be 90% agreement.  More like
60 0.000000or a 2/3 grade difference and 30 0.000000or a 1/3 grade difference.

A+ is breathtaking.  B+ is good enough for most of what we all shoot.
Exceptions for me to satisfactorily using anything better than a B+ would be
huge enlargements of landscapes and microfilming.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV