Re: [OM] In praise of 50mm (was 50/1.8 as loupe)

Subject: Re: [OM] In praise of 50mm (was 50/1.8 as loupe)
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:54:05 -0400
Barry B. Bean wrote:

> Whenever I'm feeling uninspired, or like I've gotten too caught up in
> my equipment, I load my OM-1n with tri-x and slap on a Zuiko 50.
> Thre's an awful lot to be seen at 50mm!

Well said.  I've been using my 50 1.8 alot this spring; it's now one of
my favorites.  35mm photography has given us such a huge palette of
lenses, that as I look back through my slides I see just how much time
can be wasted on "effects".  With a 50, you can shed all the anxiety of
a bagfull of lenses and concentrate on seeing.  I get a very high
proportion of "keepers" this way.

I don't understand why the normal focal length is so derided in the
small format, but is so often tool of choice in larger ones.  All lenses
have their place. . . . I don't think there is any such thing as a "bad"
focal length.

For those who don't own a Zuiko 50, do yourself a favor and see what an
investment of 15 bucks can do for your photography.

Morgan Sparks