[OM] Oly ad - Wall St. Journal

Subject: [OM] Oly ad - Wall St. Journal
From: Terry Lee <tlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:12:53 -0700
Wall Street Journal, Weekend Journal, Friday May 14, page 5, 2/3 page ad:

Top 2/3 of the ad:
Young man, wearing a garish paisly flower print shirt, a wide leather
watchband with big bright rivets and rings, sporting a 70's "big hair"
look taking a picture at you with...
a black OM-1, with a Zuiko 40mm 1:2 sn 105078
(tilted, not parallel to the ground nor forehead, perhaps to
emphasize "dorkiness")
with the caption:

"Remember the first camera you fell in love with?"

Bottom 1/3 of the ad:
The Camedia C2000 with the caption:

"Here's the filmless version."

followed by the following text:
"Pick right up where you left off with the new C-2000 ZOOM filmless digital
camera.
You loved taking pictures then. You'll love it even more now with the 2.1
megapixel
C-2000 ZOOM. It'll remind you of your favorite film camera of yesterday,
but with
all the advantages Olympus filmless photography offers today. Only the
C-2000 ZOOM,
for example, incorporates an all-glass, aspherical 3X zoom lens system
featuring a large
aperature f2.0 lens that's exceptionally fast and bright. Along with
automatic or manual
features like aperature and shutter priority, spot metering, exposure
compensation, white
balance and ISO settings. And just like your film camera, the C-2000 ZOOM
grows with
you when you add external flash, lighting equipment, lenses or filters. So
bring back
old memories while creating new ones with the C-2000 ZOOM from Olympus -
THE WORLD LEADER IN FILM AND FILMLESS PHOTOGRAPHY."

Now, my editorials...
1. I've owned an OM-1 since the beginning, and do regretfully admit to
owning a
    matching paisly print shirt, and had lots of hair at that time too. My
kids
    will attest to the fact that I'm a dork, and probably was one then too.
Rub it in, why
    don't you Oly - great way to make me want to buy something from you. Is
the
    message to "embarras" us nostalgic "old farts" into buying digital?
2. Yes, I did fall in love with an OM-1 then. But then again, I'm still
loving my
    OM-4.
3. With all the attention on getting the model to have the vintage 70's
look, Oly
    overlooked the fact that the 40mmF2 was never available at that time.
Surely
    they can find a 50mmF1.8 lying around someplace?
4. I think they missed the point over why we fell in love with the OM-1 in
the first
    place. It was not for it's "all-glass, aspherical 3X zoom with fast
F2.0" - in fact
    I thought my first Zuiko zoom the 75-150 sucked, and I sold it.
Handling and
    the range of lenses, macro, etc. are not even mentioned.
5. So why isn't there a "modern" person shown "using" the C-2000? Maybe it's
    handling? Or it's size? Would he/she be a "dork" too?

I am a Zuikoholic.
I am a dork.
I am a dinosaur.