Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:25:51 -0400
Cc: KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx
I'm going to "third" the other suggestions.  Most of these criteria fit a
Konica Hexar to a T.

1. The lens is a superb 35/2, sadly not interchangeable or available in
another focal length.

2. No flash in-camera, small hot shoe flash comes with it.

3. The winder is built in, no option for manual advance.

4. The shutter & winder system absolutely the quietest in the modern world
in the Silent Mode.  Most people that use mine in that mode say to me,
"Hey, this thing didn't wind, is it working?".  I just smile.  It's pretty
quiet in the "normal" mode too.

5. It has "normal" eyelets for strap attachment and looks a lot like what
you'd expect Leica to do if it made a top-end, full size, point-and-shoot.
No remote trigger options though except for the self timer or a "rube
Goldberg" cable release (see http://photo.net/photo/ncliffe/hexarcable.html )

They're not cheap though.  I saw one FS somewhere on the net last night for
$550.  That's what I'd budget.  I paid $700 for a LN Rhodium 2 yrs ago at
B&H (that was about $50-75 too high, but they'd been discontinued then,
only to be resurrected later.)  You might pay less.

For product info and reviews, check out

http://www.konica.com/
http://photo.net/photo/hexar.html

(The photo.net page has way more than you need, it's several pages long,
with lots of comments.)

Skip