RE: [OM] I'm off to California and then Scotland for a month. Advice?

Subject: RE: [OM] I'm off to California and then Scotland for a month. Advice?
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:44:50 -0600
Chris wrote:

> In the US I don't have much free time, but I will have a car so plan
> to at least visit Point Lobos.   Where else could I go?

North of Monterey on Highway 1, between Monterey and San Francisco, is the
Pigeon Point light house. It is quite isolated, and dates from the 1870s.
The setting is beautiful. Access is free, too. I highly recommend it.

When in San Francisco, drive across the Golden Gate bridge, if it is a clear
evening, exit to the Marin Headlands, then drive the short distance to
Battery Spencer (decommissioned). From there you can get an absolutely
delightful shot of SF with the bridge in the foreground.

In the city, I recommend eating at Savor in Noe (pronounced "no e") valley,
on 24th, I believe. Quite reasonable prices with excellent food and very
good, non-tourist atmosphere. Much excellent Italian food can be had in the
"North Beach" area of town.

Avoid Fisherman's Warf, in my opinion. Very much a tourist area.

Also try to visit the Palace of Fine Arts, a beautiful structure in the
Marina section. See http://www.exploratorium.edu/palace/index.html for more
information and some pictures that don't do the site justice.

Hope this helps, SF (never "frisco") is my home town, which I miss terribly
here in Colorado.

Will von Dauster

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde