Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:43:10 EDT
In a message dated 5/21/99 4:16:14 PM EST, Pauls0627@xxxxxxx writes:

 > 1. Olympus stylis epic - does it have loops for a neck strap? and does it
 >  have the ability to shut the flash (and not default back to flash
 >  mode) when turned off and on?

 >  Most P&S's have rather small flash tubes. You could probably cover them
with
 >  a piece of black electrical tape if the flash going off is a concern.

 > What about an XA? Not available new, but easy to find. The flash is
removable.
  <<

The Stylus has 4 selectable flash modes- Auto, Auto-S (anti red eye mode)
Fill-in (fires with every shot) and Flash off. Unfortunately, the camera does
not remember the mode you selected the last time you turned the camera on,
and each time you turn it on it defaults to Auto mode, and you'll have to
reselect "flash off " if that's what you want.
All in all I'd recommend the Stylus, I got it for my wife who has no desire
to be creative, photographically speaking, and it has a very sharp lens,
takes very nice photos. It also doesn't require a large investment, allowing
you to move on to something else if you want to later on. The Stylus is not
much bigger or heavier than a disposable camera, you may forget you even are
carrying it, as I did once or twice.    And it only has one loop for a wrist
strap, but I guess you could get a long strap and hang it from your neck.
P.S.- I also have an XA which is also a good choice, but I most likely keep
and use it for it's "cult" or nostalgic meaning that it has for me.
Good Luck
George S.