[OM] Of lenses, cameras and the art of seeing

Subject: [OM] Of lenses, cameras and the art of seeing
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:56:15 -0500
We all like to make comparisons between the various brands and models of
cameras and lenses.  In fact, we are infatuated with it.  Just take Gary
Reese's lens tests, for example.  Gary is going out of his way and has made
a massive investment in time and money into these tests.  To what end?
These tests give us a "benchmark" laboratory comparison so we can tell
whether or not a given lens will actually meet our expectations in
sharpness and contrast.  They give us the ability to know whether or not
that 16-800/1.2 will actually produce anything usable.

Now, what does that have to do with this post?  Absolutely nothing, other
than these tests do not reveal usability and influence.  Think, for a
second, of lenses as paint brushes:  We are comparing the bristles and
their shape, size, softness, ends, density, etc., but we are neglecting the
handle.  You can have a paint brush that has perfect bristles and spreads
the paint on the canvas smoothly and accurately, but if the handle doesn't
feel right to the artist, it can't be used to produce the painting.

What I am referring to is the intangible vs the tangible.  Gary's tests are
the tangible--if you do exactly this one thing with this lens in this
situation, this is what you will get.  The intangible is being able to take
your lenses and cameras out and creating a new image that has never been
done before.  The tangible allows you to take terrific pictures, but it is
the intangible that encourages you to take terrific pictures.

Yesterday, I started out with the 35-70 zoom, but gravitated to the
100/2.8.  Even though, the zoom lens was more flexible than the 100/2.8, it
wasn't until I changed lenses that I felt "at home" with the camera.  At
that point, my compositions improved and I felt much more creative.
Throughout the years my best pictures were taken with the Olympus
equipment, not medium format cameras because of the intangible.

We hear time and again that "It isn't the equipment that creates the
photograph, but the photographer."  True, but I disagree to a certain
point:  The equipment not only empowers the photographer, but encourages
too!  For example:  The Nikon F5 and EOS1N "encourage" a quick, sequenced,
in your face photojournalism style of shooting; a 4x5 camera encourages
detailed, exacting work; and the OMs encourage yet another style of
photography.  Which is best?  It totally depends on the photographer and
his/her goals.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography, Broadcast Consulting and Audio Engineering

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306