Re: [OM] Olympus 16f3.5 and 18f3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 16f3.5 and 18f3.5
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 05:58:44 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/99 1:35:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I agree with Jan on this one.
 In Europe a used 16mm is slightly cheaper than a 18mm Zuiko.
 If I remember well, prices for new were about equal.

 Frank van Lindert
 Utrecht NL.

        Having searched hard for a reasonably priced 18mm earlier this year
I eventually bought the 16mm as a  bit cheaper and more available alternative
even though I really wanted a recti-linear lens.  I have been very happy with
it.
A very nice feature is that it is by far the most compact 16mm around.
(see http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/fishlist.htm).
I considered the 17mm Tokina Aspherical but it was so much bigger.
 Like some others who have commented on the list, I have found I can
use it more often than I had expected. With care the fish-eye effect is
often unobtrusive.
        It really does allow some unusual viewpoints:  I was able to use it
while bouldering (climbing) in Joshua Tree for taking pictures of multiple
climbers, climbing different faces of the same rock when photographing
from above.

Frank is right about the old prices :
   Adorama's prices in 1985 were  $250 for the 18mm and $260 for the 16mm.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx