[OM] covering flash tubes; "Kodachrome"

Subject: [OM] covering flash tubes; "Kodachrome"
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 06:56:26 -0700
"Most P&S's have rather small flash tubes. You could probably cover them with a
piece of black electrical tape if the flash going off is a concern."

Although I think this response was a misunderstanding to the question, it is
nevertheless a Bad Idea. The tape will absorb almost all the light, heating up
the adhesive. Even a single shot might be enough
to turn it gummy. And you sure don't want to make several shots in succession
with the tube covered. you run the risk of overheating the tube.

I was just reading the Pop Photo review of the new Quantum battery pack, which
permits fast recycling. The author reassured the readers that it was okay to
shoot a whole roll of film in quick succession,
as the tube would have enough time to cool off when you were changing the film.
This might be true when shooting at close distances, but if you're shooting at
near full-power, I'd be cautious.

"Kodachrome" was written and sung by Paul Simon, on his own. A brief search on
the Internet produced the lyrics:

When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
it's a wonder I can think at all
And though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall