Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 10:14:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/99 6:10:26 AM EST, KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I got my wife the Stylus also and she loves it - it would be fine but I
need
 it to have a neck strap that will allow it to drape down and with a remote
 cord in pocket take pictures - and not handle the camera at all I really
 don't need to be chaised out of a Casba with bearded men carrying sticks
 (again!!!). The default flash (or lack of default flash off) is a major
 hinderence too. The Stylus camera was used by my wife to take photos of
 Jeruselm and (I am ashamed to say) many came out better than the ones I took
 with my 2n...... [and it wasnt the 2n's fault]

 Thanks
 Ken M

Now I understand what you're trying to do, take photos surrepticiously. I
thought you just wanted something small that won't call attention to
yourself, but you're taking it a couple of steps further. I would be very
careful, if you don't want to draw attention to yourself because the locals
"may not like photos" that's one thing, but if "photos are forbidden-
period., punishable by whatever," THAT'S another case entirely. I wouldn't
play around with their laws. You run the risk of _at least_ forfeiting your
cameras AND paying quite a sum in order to just leave the country. Most third
world countries like to make examples out of what they view as "rich"
foreigners and make a nice pece of change in the process. Your camera may be
worth what they would make in 5 or 10 years of working at their job. Not to
mention what "pocket change" you have with you. I've heard instances where
foreigners were locked up and the "fine" just happened to be whatever amount
of money they had with them, and what they had in their hotel room or hotel
safe, leaving them with zilch, but very happy to get out of jail and head
home.

George S.