Re: [OM] OM2000 vrs OM3 & OM4?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 vrs OM3 & OM4?
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:47:10 -0700

Jerry Stackhouse wrote:

> I'd like to replace my OM10 which has been an additional body to my OM1n.
> On the Olympus web site, it appears that the OM 3, OM 4, and the OM2000 are
> the current choices. I'm reviewing the features.  I'm assuming they are
> still being made? I need to be able to use my OM1's lenses, winder, t32,
> and other accessories. I'm also considering a used OM2n or OM1n but would
> really like to buy new.
>
> Anyone have an estimate as to what these bodies are selling for these days?
>
> Why would I not want the OM2000? I see this body going for around $250 on
> the Web. I imagine the 3 & 4 are considerably more.

Jerry;

First off, several list members have 2000s and are, for the most part,
happy with them.  They are really Cosina's and are basically the same
camera as the Nikom FM 10 and a few other clones.  The 2000 has
something the clones don't have - a spotmeter. And, it has something no
other OM has - a multi-exposure capability.  This feature is why I just
ordered one from John Hermanson, the list's resident Olympus
repairman/dealer.  And, check out his prices at http://www.zuiko.com
You'll see that you can get the 2000 plus the 35-70 zoom for less than
your $250 figure.  You will not be able to use TTL on T series flashes
or a winder with the 2000.

Prices for new 4Tis are about $1000.  3Tis about $1500.  Are they worth
**that** much more?  Well, their metering systems are amoung the best in
the world and their precision build quality and durability are well
documented.  If you can **afford** $1000 as easily as $250, get the
4Ti.  After all, it's one of the most favored cameras of all time, see:
http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera  :>)

George