Re: [OM] OM2000 vrs OM3 & OM4?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 vrs OM3 & OM4?
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 17:03:51 -0400
 "George M. Anderson" wrote:

>Jerry Stackhouse wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to replace my OM10 which has been an additional body to my OM1n.
>> On the Olympus web site, it appears that the OM 3, OM 4, and the OM2000 are
>> the current choices. I'm reviewing the features.  I'm assuming they are
>> still being made? I need to be able to use my OM1's lenses, winder, t32,
>> and other accessories. I'm also considering a used OM2n or OM1n but would
>> really like to buy new.
>Prices for new 4Tis are about $1000.  3Tis about $1500.
George, your pricing of the 3Ti is still correct,but you should know that B&H
raised its price on the new 4Ti in January this year to $1099.95.

I don't know where B&H buys the 4Ti, but the official Olympus Japan's list price
is
¥180,000.  The street price may be ¥126,000.

If I were in Jerry Stackhouse's shoe, I would buy the 2000 now and wait until
the end of this year to buy a 4Ti or 3Ti.  This is Olympus Japan's 80th year.
Perhaps the 80th anniversary is not a big one, but as far as the film camera is
concerned, it can be.  The anniversary month is October, so if there is a slight
chance of their coming out with a new OM body, this year might be the last year
it could happen.

I joined the Olympus Camera Club to see what it is doing.  It is very strange to
see that Olympus ads are all digital and the members are still submitting their
work from their film cameras ranging from the latest P&S to mostly the 4Ti.
This year's winner of the annual (cumulative) competition winner used the OM2000
in one of his entries.  He used the 70-210mm lens which came out at the same
time.

I have a feeling that Japan has a larger population of amateur photographers
than perhaps anywhere else, so the recent new models coming out from Nikon,
Canon, etc. are partially aimed at them.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/