Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:48:02 -0700

Acer Victoria wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Michael Stoesz wrote:
>
> >This has been a most interesting non-OM, Non-NG thread and has caused me to
> >wonder; What is the minimum, maximum and mean for our ages?  and
>
>         19 here. Mean and median appear to he much higher, like twice my
> age. No offence and not meaning to be smug, but that's what I gather from
> the replies.
>
> >When did each of us discover Olympus or re-discover Olympus?
>
>         First Oly SLR I was was my uncle's, and that too was from a
> distance. I never got close enough to even see the model. Chrome, sweet.
> Was camera shopping a few months ago. Looking for all manual and
> mechanical. One shop showed me a chrome OM1 w/ Zuiko 50/1.8 (SC?). Love at
> first shot/sight/feel. Such smoothness, quietness. Wow. But I wanted to
> give the FM2n a shot for 3 reasons:
> 1. 1/250 synch
> 2. 1/4000 shutter (daytime, can limit DOF w/ 400 film)
> 3. swappable lenses--dad will be getting into medical macro shortly, and
> he can get AF bodies and we can swap lenses
> 4. oh, also available new
> But, it was going to be $$$$ because MF Nikkors are hard to come by; AF in
> manual mode is just plain awful.
> OM was light, small and quiet. THen the wonderful Zuikos. One Terence
> Finan of Seattle, WA offered me his. I bought it immediately. Zuikoholic.
> OM-1n MD
> 28/3.5
> 50/1.4 MC but not gren
> 50/1.8 MC and green
> 50/3.5 macro MC and green
> 200/4 (sold off 75-150/4 in favor of 200/4)
> 2x t/c
> T32
>
> >There should be some great short stories in this one.
>
>         Hope this wasn't too long.

Siddiq;

Nice little starter system!

I got my first OM, a black OM-1, after I got out of the US Air Force and
was already 8 years your senior!  My decision was mainly based on it's
being the accepted best astro-photo camera as that's where my interests
were leading me at the time.  I got it with the 50/1.8 of course.
Later, as I decided I wanted to do more terrestrial photography, I added
a Vivitar 28/2 and a Soligor long zoom. These were based mainly on money
considerations.

The 28/2 was a nice sharp lens and lasted over 10 years before it
literally fell apart. The Soligor self destructed in about 2 years.  I
bought a Vivitar to replace it. It lasted another 2 years.  Finally I
recognized the value of the Zuiko name and replaced the Vivitar with the
65-200/4  That lens is still, 18 years later, a valuable part of my
bag.

George