[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #935

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #935
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:27:41 -0700
>From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>"Barry B. Bean" wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 22 May 1999 11:47:10 -0700, George M. Anderson wrote:
>>
>> >And, it has something no
>> >other OM has - a multi-exposure capability.
>>
>> Strange, I've shot multiple exposures with all of my OMs...In fact,
>> page 17 of my OM-1 manual gives directions!
>
>Well, yeah, I've used that method too.  But it's not very precise, and
>you gotta burn an extra frame afterward.

But the method in the manual sucks. On the OM-1/2(n), you can get
pin-registered double exposures without "burning extra frames," using the
following method:

1) Take you first shot.
2) Take up the slack in the rewind, but not too tight.
3) Rotate the rewind lever, as though you were rewinding.
4) Rewind SLIGHTLY.
5) Move the rewind lever back to the non-rewind position.
6) Continue rewinding until it "clicks" and won't rewind any more.

I believe this is now four holes worth of rewinding, or one-half frame.
Repeat steps #3 - #6 for a full eight holes worth of rewind.

I discovered this decades ago, when I had an OM-2. Unfortunately, it
doesn't seem to work on the OM-4(t) bodies I use now. (I've tried to do it,
but the rewind button on the 3/4 doesn't "pop" like the rewind knob on the
1/2.) This is from memory, and I'm not certain you have to repeat the
process, or perhaps have to repeat it four times instead of two. Can
someone with an OM-1/2(n) verify?

For a simple verification, when winding the camera, note the travel in the
rewind knob, then repeat steps #2 - #6 enough times to bring the knob back
to its original position.

Using this technique, I never had to "burn an extra frame," and I was able
to place the full moon precisely in the arch of a building, using only the
lines on the 1-10 screen as a guide, so there was no slippage.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229