Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:44:38 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/99 7:13:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> * One per month may be too much to handle at first, logistically.
>  Someone said once a quarter, I would even go for every other month.

I think once a quarter to start sounds about right. I suspect it will take a
while before we get the details down.

>  * I do lean in favor of 'themes' as I think it makes it easier to 'vote'
>  for an entry in the context of a theme.

Themes are a good idea. They need to be somewhat generic due to the
international flavour of this list.

>  * All entries should identify camera and lens used. Film, aperture and
>  shutter if possible.

Agreed.

>  * Someone mentioned about using non-Zuikos. I have mixed emotions on
>  this one.  I suppose if the offending 3rd party lens has not yet fallen
>  apart :>) and was mounted on an Olympus camera we could allow it.  Maybe
>  take some points away though? :>)

I feel non-Zuiko's are OK. If there's somebody out there talented enough to
get a great shot *without* a Zuiko, I wanna see it!! (no flames, please...
just kidding) Seriously, my interest in this is as a learning opportunity.
The equipment used is secondary. Who knows, I may even submit a photo or two!

Someone has mentioned the possibility of doing a contest. I would suggest
let's start slow, pick a theme and a date (or range of dates, not more than a
week), and see what kind of results we get. We need to get the infrastrucure
set up and debugged first. George volunteered his web site - I suggest we
take him up on his kind offer. I don't believe we've heard from Garth yet on
this subject, so I don't know what the ability would be to put them on the
Unofficial Gallery (a more logical place, perhaps, but what's a link between
friends?). I'm not sure if it's fair to put the additional burden on Garth,
anyway. He's doing a great job with the gallery.

George, let us know what you think and how you would like to proceed,
including ways the rest of us could help you get this going.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island, USA