Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:01:35 +0200
Gary Schloss schrieb:

> Ken M. wrote:
>
> > I am going in a couple of months to a far off land..... A
> > country where some of the people may not appreciate a tourist
> > taking lots of street pictures....

> Hmm, sounds like you're planning a pilgrimage to Mecca, huh?  :-)

Is it prohibited to take photos there? This would be strange, because a
friend showed me some family pictures from their "Hadsh" pilgrimage to
Mecca.

> I concur with others' warm recommendations of the Konica Hexar,

But I wouldn´t expect to much from the "silent mode" of this camera. I
had just the possibility to test the camera (and their special mode) in
a camera shop, but I was able to hear the "click" of the camera shutter.
It was not much quieter than an XA.

> The other alternative, and probably a better camera overall, is
> the terrific Contax G1 or G2.

I´m not shure if this is an realy unobtrusive camera, but you might try
another sort of "German glas", an Stasi "undercover" secret agent camera,
hidden in a bag.
Of course such a camera is no longer available new ;-) but you might find
them on the used cameras and collectors market.

Regards

Richard