Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:25:42 -0500
On Mon, 24 May 1999 06:05:38 -0400 Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
>At 07:29 PM 5/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>><snip>
>I have to diasgree. Keep them anonymous till the voting's over, but
>then
>publish the name. What's the point of winning if no one knows who you
>are?

Absolutely!  We need to know who's taking home all the prizes!

>Then there's the question of the votes.
>I tried to get the vote count publicized on the COntax list, but I was
>voted
>down :-)

The vote count would be nice to know, but not essential.  More
importantly, could we critique or comment on the photos as we judge, not
just the winners, but on mine too.  Or would we just make comments on the
list?  I think feedback on one's photos would be a prime benefit of doing
something like this.

>It was felt that beginners who's skills were limited may get
>discouraged if
>they consistently get no votes.

How else are they to know they got no votes or what they are doing wrong?

>Also, this list has a lot more subscribers. Depending on the number
>of
>submissions, maybe there could be one winner for every ten images, up
>to three.
>IOW, first, second, and third place if more than thirty images were
>submitted.

I don't know that the number of winners is important unless you're giving
out prizes?  I think, at least for me, winning a competition in this
group would be one heck of an ego stroke, no need for any further prize!
Again, the feedback one would receive and use to improve one's technique
or composition skills is the real prize.  Everybody comes out a winner.

Daryl Hurley