Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG OT
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:57:22 -0400
Who me? You want my story!
Well OK.
Turned 50 in January.
Shortly after High school (1967) I got a job doing process camera work.
It led to a career in Lithography.
I picked up a Kodak instamatic to record some of my life experiences.
It was handy at the Art Museums in New York which I visited from time to
time.
A year or so later I got the bug and bought a Petri SLR with a 50mm lens.
It was all I could afford but I loved it.
Years later after taking a course with the School Of Modern Photography,
I bought a OM1 with the 50mm 1.8 to have on a trip to Europe.
The OM won out over everything else for the same reasons it does today.
While working on 23rd street I spotted a 135mm 2.8 Oly mount in a junk store
window for $50.  It is still a truly sharp lens and a valued member of my
Oly collection.
That was all I had for many years (with a Vivitar 283).  I did not do
photography for money until I started using the company 8x10 Deerdorf for
room setups with a furniture company I worked for.  The Lithography kind of
led into the photography.
I traveled the world and lived in some really great places but the OM1 was
just a recorder of places all that time.

Well I finally got sick of being laid off from printing companies and
newspapers
so I added to my photo gear and went solo.
100mm 2.8 for $50 - 85mm f2 for $75 - used T-20 and T-32.a couple of cords
a 28mm 3.5 some filters and I was on my way at 45 years old.
I got the Mamiya 645 outfit and joined the PPA.
The OM2 was my first Zuikoholic fall.

Time to wrap it up.
I did some real estate ads, some portraits and social events.
The advertising expense of competing with established studios took it's
toll.
(kids, don't think this is an easy business)
My other, non photo related business is bringing in the bacon.
I am a hopeless Shutterbug and a sick Zuikoholic and I don't want any help.

Charlie Loeven