Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:06:58 +0200
Richard wrote:

:But I wouldn´t expect to much from the "silent mode" of this camera. I
:had just the possibility to test the camera (and their special mode) in
:a camera shop, but I was able to hear the "click" of the camera shutter.
:It was not much quieter than an XA.

I don't agree with this. I have both cameras. The XA, although a quite
camera, produces a click that can easily be heard at a distance of 2-3m.;
besides, when (manually) winding the film there's the rattling sound of the
winding wheel which is even easier to hear.
The shutter of the Hexar in silent mode can only be heard when there is
absolutely no environment noise. Winding and focusing produces a bit more
noise, but is still very quit. Winding only takes place when you release the
shutter knob, so it can be postponed, and when you revert to manual focus
(maybe with a hyperfocal setting) the camera becomes even quiter. Rewinding
in Silent Mode is quiter than winding, and can be postponed by turning off
the camera.
But maybe you did something wrong? First of all, you must use a Konica Hexar
Black - occasion - the 'Black' is discontinued and the Silent Mode is
unfortunately stripped from the current Hexar Silver. When the camera is
turned off, press and hold the tiny 'MF' button, turn on the camera and
release the 'MF' button when you see the viewfinder info which should
display an 'L' (for Low Noise) symbol next to the frame counter. If the
symbol doesn't appear, try again because the button is so small you can
easily press it only halfway. Manual focus is obtained by half pressing the
shutter button, aiming the AF field on the subject, and pressing the MF
button.

Hans