Re: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 08:40:51 +0000
Denton wrote:

>if the weather is bad just
>stand on the front verandah and shoot from there !

Oh no, I've tried that too often.  The Welsh weather is notoriously
unpredictable, although you can predict it's fairly likely to rain... at
some point.

Regarding the 'contest', I remain uncertain.  Competition, while exciting,
isn't necessarily going to be any more fun than an open show.  I don't like
having to choose between photos you like, and also that the idea of one
picture being "best" (technically? artistically? colour fidelity? what if a
good mono shot is up against a good colour shot?  I could go on). I think we
want to encourage freedom of expression.  There are two more problems - the
first is that competition, whether one likes it or not, can sometimes be a
little cruel.  Secondly, I think it might discourage those who feel they are
already at a disadvantage (for whatever reason) from submitting material.
Why not keep it as an open forum?  No "best" also means no "worst".

I would still like to see a category or whatever dedicated to 50/55mm lenses
only - all models - but only to encourage the practice of using the one
lens.  It's the discipline, the forcing of thought through lack of choice in
hardware. It's not snobbery or anything silly like that, it's merely about
getting "back to basics" - UK list members will understand the phrase, I'm
sure  ;-)  Those of you who only have zooms can then look on enviously and
think about what purchasing one itty bitty frighteningly cheap little Zuiko
50/1.8 might do for your photography  ;-)

Simon E.