RE: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly

Subject: RE: [OM] A day in the Life of Oly
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:44:48 +0100
Wayne Harridge wrote

>show the rest of the list (+ the world !)
>something of "where you live" geographically, intellectually or
>philosophically.  I know when I regularly competed in camera club
>competitions, I started to think "what does the judge expect to see" rather
>than "what do I want to say".  Now I don't care - I'd rather stimulate some
>discussion than win a prize.

I quite agree.  And another reason I've tired of camera clubs and their
competitions is the endless bickering about the rules, which of course
everyone wants altered to suit *them*.  Photography is an art, not a sport.

I favour an open "exhibition", comments invited, no voting, and the only
rule is origination on Olympus equipment.  I hope we get this sewn up soon,
there were 188 messages in my inbox this morning, all but 6 from the Oly
list!  I can't cope with that sort of volume every day...

>It's interesting how adding constraints actually "frees up" your thinking.

Indeed.  If you usually use a zoom try leaving it at home, use prime lenses
and *force* yourself to take a few steps either way to compose the shot.
It can be quite instructive to go out with just one lens from time to time.

Cheers
Richard